Kanda poha is a traditional breakfast dish in all over Maharashtra, wherein”kanda” means onions. Nowadays it is not only enjoyed in Maharashtra but people from all over India have started relishing it as an everyday breakfast delight.
Flattened rice by itself is very nutritious and healthy. It is easily digestible and also it is recommended for consumption by diabetic patients because of its low starch content. Among bengalis this nutritious grain is used to make chirer-pulao which is another popular breakfast dish. Some people mix it with some milk and sugar and serve it to kids and elderly in the household.
I was first introduced to this dish, Kanda Poha, when I was a kid. One of my friend’s mom, who were also our neighbors, had just moved in to Kolkata from Bhusawal Maharashtra. I was at her place visiting during my summer holidays and I remember aunty gave me some poha to eat, mentioning that it’s a famous dish among Maharashtrians. That was the first time I ate poha and I fell in love with it. Good thing that I got married to a person who is also from Mumbai and he loves pohas for his weeekend breakfast!! So in a way even I get to eat and enjoy it more often! 🙂
Add in some veggies like potatoes, green peas and you get a nutritious healthy and lip-smackingly delicious breakfast meal. For additional flavor and crunch, add some peanuts. DH always insists on adding peanuts to his poha 😉
Poha or flattened rice – 2 cups
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 6-7
Onions – 1 large (chopped )
Potatoes – 1 large (chopped)
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Peanuts – 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves – chopped finely
Green chillies – chopped finely
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Lime juice – juice of a small lime
Salt – as per taste
- Wash and drain the flattened rice using a colander (only once). This prevents the rice from getting sticky. It also depends on the kind of flattened rice you are using. If it is the really soft and thin ones, you might not have to wash them or else they might turn mushy. Check the package instructions before preparing it.
2. Prepare the veggies- chop the onions, potatoes, coriander leaves and green chillies. Also prepare the green peas and peanuts.
3. Take some oil in a pan. Temper the oil with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
4. Add the peanuts. Fry for 1-2 mins. Then add the onions and potatoes together.
5. Mix well and saute for 1-2 mins.
6. Add the turmeric powder and chopped green chillies. Mix everything well.
7. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 mins or until the potatoes are done.
8. Remove the lid. Add in the green peas. Mix everything well and saute for 1 min.
At this point add in the salt and mix.
9. Add in the flattened rice and give everything a good mix. Stir fry for 1 min.
10. Sprinkle lime juice and chopped coriander leaves on top. Check for seasoning. Mix everything well. Turn off the flame.
Serve healthy and delicious poha with a cup of tea for a wholesome breakfast!!